The History of St. Luke's Church
The settlement of Huntington is actually quite old. 'Hunditone
' existed at the time of William the Conqueror and is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086
. At that time it had 8 households, and was mainly farmland. In more recent times the village of Huntington was part of the rural Parish of Bruera - situated some 1.3 miles south east. The area was still mainly farmland with a few houses. There was also the addition of an army base (Saighton Camp) in the late 1930's.
Circa 1937 - The PEB
Housing began to increase in Huntington and church services were initially started in a wooden bungalow called the 'PEB' further up Chester Road.
1938 to 1970's - St. George's Mission Hall
St. George's Mission Hall was built on the land that St. Luke's now stands on. This land was originally given by Mrs Stanley Grimshaw. Huntington and the Church soon began to flourish, and Huntington was getting bigger all the time, especially with the arrival of Saighton Army Camp, and the new 'Butter Bache Estate' (Butterbache Road). There were close connections with Saighton Camp throughout the war and for many years afterwards. St. George's Mission Hall was used for many things during it's life, including a polling station, an Infant School and Meeting place.